Cold Has Arrived in Quebec, it is Now Time to Acquire New Winter Tires for Your Car
This weekend, many regions in Quebec have seen snow for the first time. For some, it is the inevitable return of winter, a season that they could live without and for others, it means that the snowboarding and skiing season is coming soon. Whether you like winter or not, the fact is that if you live in Quebec, you cannot avoid it. You also cannot avoid snow and ice on the roads and this is why your car needs to be equipped with winter tires in order to avoid unfortunate accidents. In this article, we will help you to choose your next winter tire set by telling you what you should look for in them.
Determine Your Winter Driving Habits
There are many types of winter tires available on the market and each one has pros and cons depending on your driving habits. In order to choose the best ones to go with your driving habits and style, you need to ask yourself the following questions :
- Will you use your car to pull a snow mobile trailer?
- How many kilometers do you usually travel during the cold season and on what kind of roads?
- How would you describe your driving style?
- Do you frequently drive on roads that are not regularly maintained, on terrain that has a lot of hills or rural areas? If so, you may need studded tires.
- Are you willing to sacrifice noise level for better grip?
- What is most important to you : good performance on asphalt or improved traction on a slippery surface?
- On what type of surface do you want your tires to perform better? Ice or snow?
A good tire salesperson should ask you these questions when you visit a tire retailer. Your answers will help him or her to suggest you the right set of Quebec winter tires for your car according to your budget.
Look at the Tires’ Tread Design
Winter tire treads contain small strips that allow them to retain their flexibility while ensuring good adhesion. Tire manufacturers also experiment with different types of treads to see how they impact performance. For example, V shaped treads are able to keep the grooves snow and slush free. On the other hand, zigzag treads increase slush dispersion effectiveness.
Remember the Mandatory Period Where Your Car Needs to Be on Winter Tires in Quebec
In Quebec, from December 15th to March 15th, your car needs to be on winter tires to be in compliance with the provincial law. Of course, we strongly suggest to put them on in early or mid-November because snow and ice will show up before December 15th.
This concludes this article on what you should look for when buying a new set of winter tires in Quebec. We hope that reading it will help you to choose the right tires for your car and your driving habits. If you have questions regarding winter tires, do not hesitate to ask them to a tire expert at a Quebec tire retailer such as GCR Canada.