Review of Toyota Hilux 2016
It has been more than ten years since Toyota last launched a new version of the Toyota Hilux so when they announced they were going to be launching the Toyota 2016, it created a huge buzz. Over the years, there has been an increase in the production of different style dual Cabin Utes. Many people have turned to these vehicles for use as a family car or for work. Most have been focused on aesthetics, design and comfort. It is true that other brands like Mitsubishi have done their best to take a hold of the market while Toyota was silent but the truth still remains that Toyota is at the top when it comes to these double cabin vehicles. It is therefore understandable why the release of this car created so much excitement among dual cab addicts. The model that is being reviewed here is the Toyota Hilux SR5.
Interior and Exterior specifications:
- The exterior of the body is designed to withstand the heavy duty activities that the vehicle will be exposed to.
- A lot of high quality materials have been used to give the vehicle its signature Toyota look.
- The alloy wheels that come with the car have wide and solid all terrain tyres fitted on them to provide a better grip when on the road.
- The vehicle has been designed to be longer and wider than its predecessor; length of 1569mm and width of 1645mm.
S R5 Interior and Navigation:
- The SR5’ interior comes with a lot of the standard equipments such as navigation system and control panel.
- The seats are covered with very expensive and durable leather. Also the seats can be adjusted using electric control.
- There is Bluetooth that allows for phone pairing.
- The hydraulic steering wheel allows for rake adjustment which is something you don’t see in other such vehicles.
- The vehicle has a total of seven air bags as well as a knee bag for the driver. All the models have a rear view camera.
- It is easy to change gears here as such the 2ton weight of the car is effortlessly shifted. The towing capacity stands at 3200kg when on automatic and 3500 when using manual. Although this is better than what the old Toyota offered, it is still about 300kg below what vehicles like the Ranger are offering.
- The engine has been reduced to 2.8 from the former 3.0 unit.
- Thanks to this reduction in engine size, the vehicle can save fuel of up to 8.5 litres per 100km travelled. Meanwhile performance has been made better.
- The engine together with the vehicles automatic transmission that allows for up to six speeds offers striking power as well as torque.
- It offers impressive power of 130KW at 3400rpm and torque of 450Nm at 1600-2400rpm.
- While the Toyota Hilux may have a comparable engine to brands like Navarra and Ranger, it offers a better engine performance that is noiseless.
The Toyota helix will retail at $55,900 and this includes on-road cost. At this price, the Hilux sits at the upper end above Navara and Isuzu. The Navara sells at $54,490 while the Isuzu sells at $53,000.
The new Toyota Hilux is a big change for what we had ten years ago. It has improved tremendously in terms of design with its hydraulic powered wheel proving to be a great addition. While the vehicle may not be as good as some of its rivals in terms of towing capacity, there is all evidence that it is still going to hit the market hard.
Also, look at new Toyota Prius.